mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Shadowfires

Shadowfires - Leigh Nichols, Dean Koontz I am really starting to love Koontz's writing. This is a great read, completely worth your time. Koontz seems to have a thing about good vs. evil, with both being active, personified forces. It's a rare thing in today's writing, when "evil" is often merely the absence of "good", or where the "evil" inhabits more of a moral gray area. This was written in Koontz's early years, and is also published under the pseudonym of Leigh Nichols. While the villain and heroine are both clearly portrayed within their roles, it doesn't have the strong spiritual undertone that pervade his later books, such as Darkfall.