mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

King Raven (The King Raven Trilogy)

King Raven: The Complete Trilogy: Hood, Scarlet, and Tuck - Stephen R. Lawhead This a great twist on the Robin Hood legend, and one of my favorite parts was actually the author's afterward, explaining the history of the Robin Hood legend and why he chose the setting he did. That's not to put down the actual storytelling, which was great -- I was just pleased at the fact that the author included context and history in his afterward. Not everyone who reads books based on the Robin Hood legend is aware of the history.If you liked Sherwood, by Parke Godwin, you'll like this. And if you like this, but haven't read Sherwood -- you'll like that.