mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Stargirl (Readers Circle)

Stargirl (Readers Circle) - Jerry Spinelli Meh. It was . . . okay. It wasn't great, it wasn't awful. To be honest, I kind of skimmed it near the end -- it didn't catch nor hold my attention. Two-thirds of the way through the book is when I gave up and just sort of scanned the pages really quick to get an idea of what was happening. It may just be the genre, I don't know. I like a lot of YA books, but the ones I like tend to be fantasy and sci-fi. I never liked Beverly Cleary and that sort of thing . . . if you like the introspective teen angsty thing, you'll probably like this book.