mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Rampant (Killer Unicorns, Book 1)

Rampant (Killer Unicorns, Book 1) - Diana Peterfreund It took me a bit to get into it, honestly. It's been really well reviewed by a lot of my favorite authors, and the concept -- killer unicorns! -- sounded fantastic. I was definitely intrigued.But it was surprisingly difficult to immerse into. I can't point to any one thing -- Peterfreund writes well enough. She moves the plot along quickly enough. Her character (Astrid) is relatable, though Astrid's mother is never, at any time, even remotely sympathetic. Seriously, I couldn't understand why Astrid showed any affection for the woman. I get the whole, "She's my mother," thing, I really do. I just don't get loving a mother who doesn't act like a mom, who shows no real love or concern for her daughter as a person. Maybe I was just really lucky in my draw as a mother, so I don't understand and I'll never have to, but I simply do not understand Astrid's motivation or affection toward her mother. Every time they interacted, I was pulled out of the story and sat there shaking my head going, "Why? Why does Astrid seem to care about her? WTF?"Anyway, other than that, the big WTF for me was the whole magic thing. It was irritating -- normally, urban fantasy asks us to accept that magic and real life exist side by side, or on top of each other, but rarely to never intersect in obvious ways. In Rampant, Astrid's introduced to the reality that unicorns are real and are, indeed, killer monsters when her boyfriend gets gored by one. This is all part of the re-emergence. Astrid is then carted off to Rome, where she begins training as a unicorn hunter. She spends a lot of her time in Rome raising a lot of really good questions, mostly boiled down to, "Why does it have to be magic? Why can't it be scientifically explained?" Near the end of the book, she meets somebody who basically convinces her to give up all these questions and just accept it. I just wanted to scream. I especially felt this attitude applied to the virgin thing -- I felt like they were willing to take a "science" attitude toward things like bloodlines, alicorn venom, unicorn mating and herding habits, hunting abilities, etc. etc. But especially near the end of the book, I had the definite impression that hunter = virginity. The End. No more questions. It pissed me off.BTW, I was intrigued by how sex was handled in the book -- the implications of using sex to avoid duty, the confusion over the social and personal definition of rape, and the various reactions of friends and family to rape. It was an interesting look at something that has been made such a religious and political issue that it's almost impossible for a woman to make the decision to lose her virginity on her own terms without weighing the social and often religious consequences.