mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman As usual, Gaiman (and Pratchett) deliver on all points. This is a crisp, irreverent, funny little gem of a book. It moves along quickly, drawing in all the threads of the plot neatly after itself -- at some points, you think they may have gotten a bit lost, having fun with the characters and the interactions, but in the end it all comes together, as neatly and messily as fantasy ever does. It's a beautiful piece of work, and it perfectly encapsulates the humor, stubbornness, stupidity, brilliance, cruelties and kindnesses of mankind -- amplified by the choirs of angels and demons, so ready to make war around them in God's name.