mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Dreamdark: Silksinger (Playaway Children)

Silksinger - Laini Taylor I can't get over this woman's writing. It's absolutely, stunningly magical. Every time I read another book of hers, I start it thinking, "It's really just a kid's book, and I just happened to be in the right mood last time . . . it's not going to draw me in the same way this time."And every time, I find myself completely lost in her world and words. I surface a few hours later, when I've read it to the last page, no pausing. And that's a rare for thing for me, anymore. I'm an adult, I don't normally have the time to devour an entire book in one sitting. I'm so used to my reading being interrupted that even when I do have an entire day to myself, I tend to interrupt it myself: go for a walk, grab a coffee, whatever. But every time I pick up one of her books, I don't surface for hours. Nothing else touches me. She's a rare treat, one of those writers who not only brings alive the world she's created, but rekindles the amazed magic I felt when I read as a child, subsumed in otherworlds.