mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen By Christopher McDougall - -Author- I loved this book. I was ambivalent, I admit -- I'm not much one for books recommended on tv shows, and I probably would have never picked it up on my own in a bookstore (it's about running, come on!).But the author was on the Daily Show, and he was so obviously excited and knowledgeable about his topic -- it was infectious.I immediately put it on my to-read list, and ended up reading it on my Nook. It is, in a word, incredible. The science, the history, and the people . . . it's all woven together in this seamless, always fascinating manner. It's both educational and entertaining -- writing at it's finest.More than that, it's inspiring. I actually want to run now!