mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens This is a truly awesome book. Christopher Hitchens has a stunning (and somewhat intimidating) intellect, and he wields it beautifully here to write a book that is both incredibly well-researched, well-argued, and well-structured, but is at the same time accessible and readable without talking down to the reader. I could totally see Glenn Beck fans reading this and understanding the arguments and logic -- then putting the book down and wandering away and coming up with spurious rebuttals.But! The point is, it's brilliant and accessible, a rarity for books debating on the side of atheism. I highly recommend this for anyone, especially if you're a fan of addressing all sides of the argument and knowing the whole story.