mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two

The Wise Man's Fear: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day Two - Patrick Rothfuss I was trying to describe this series to my husband, which is a bit of a lost cause. He's not a reader, and when he does read he tends toward sci-fi or non-fiction, never fantasy. But I tried anyway, because I love rhapsodizing about my favorite books and authors.Anyway, this is the analogy I came up with: This book is like a wonderfully made chocolate candy. It's got a rich, silky layer of high-end chocolate that coats a creamy, coffee ganache center -- and in the very center is a dollop of the most delicious, wonderful caramel you've ever tasted. That's what this book is like. See, the silky, seemingly simple outer layer is the premise: The innkeeper, who is telling his story. But like any good chocolate (or story), it's far more complex than it originally appears; deceptive in it's simplicity. Rothfuss uses this premise as not simply a vehicle for the story itself, but as a piece of the larger whole. How did our protagonist anti-hero end up as the innkeeper? What role did he/ will he play in the troubles plaguing this little backwater town? Will he remain an innkeeper, or is he destined for more? How did he come by his companions?All these questions surround and envelope the rich coffee ganache center, the meat and shape of the story: The protagonist's life. How he came to be a legend in his own time, why he chose to fade into obscurity. And in the very center, there's the silky, caramalicious treat. You see, our protagonist is a story teller, so this book is threaded through with stories. Well, duh, you may say. It is a book. That is what books do -- tell a story. But no, you don't understand. These are stories within a story within a story. These are the stories people tell to each other when they learn an interesting fact or when they're out camping, or when you're on a really long car trip. They're the myths and urban legends and fairy tales that shape and color our worlds in ways we don't even realize. They're the throw-away stories, the legends and hopes and dreams -- the types of stories you could tell a 100 years ago or a 100 years from now, and the basic bones and structure would still be recognizable. Those are the types of stories that are scattered through the larger, overarching plot of the book -- the stories of this world.It is, quite simply, genius. It's a masterpiece of writing. It's beautiful and detailed and vibrant, and oh so very rich. It is like a well-made chocolate.