mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

The Witches Of Santa Anna (Books 1-7) (DISCOUNTED)

The Witches of Santa Anna - Lauren Barnholdt, Aaron Gorvine I bought this because it cost $5 on Nook. $5 for 7 books seemed like a decent deal. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I wasted my money. I read them all, so I guess that counts for something. They were very simplistic, basically. I mean, it felt like reading the script to some tv show. Maybe it is, I don't know -- I mean, throughout the books it's referred to as "Season 1," so either that's a new trend in naming book series or it is in fact based off some cheesy witch/teen/romance tv program. I don't know. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful. There's really nothing to praise or rant about it. It's just . . . meh.