mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Brave New World Revisited (P.S.)

Brave New World Revisited - Aldous Huxley This is apparently one of the classics of modern literature, and came very highly recommended.My personal reaction to it was that the premise was interesting, but the characterization left something to be desired. It isn't until about the third or fourth chapter that the character most identifiable is introduced, and even then, he's not concentrated on until much later in the book. The second chapter introduces the other character who's somewhat fleshed out, but I found him lacking in interest and somewhat repulsive in character. While the basic plot was intriguing and, considering the time it was written, a fascinating view of the future -- the book was a bit of a slog due to the fact that Huxley didn't write characters you could care about on a personal level.