mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  - J.K. Rowling I was stunned and dismayed by the time I finished this book. I have been a fan of the HP series since about 2000, when a friend recommended Book 1 to me as a cute little book that she was tutoring 5th graders with. I read it, liked it, and figured I'd pick up the next book when it came out.As each book came out, many critics and fans commented that JK had a unique style of approaching her series; the way that her books grew with her targeted audience. The series became darker and more complex, the writing more intense as the series continued.By the 5th book, I was well and truly hooked, and read each book voraciously when it came out. I re-read the entire available series just before the next book was released, and enjoyed them immensely.When Book 7 came out, I was disappointed, but only in the way that a fan is when what they have enjoyed so long is at an end. There would be no more HP books to look forward to. As I had not been part of HP online communities, nor did I enjoy the movies, this was the end of the series for me.Then I read the book, and I was furious. Six books she spent preaching about house unity, and how Hogwarts must unite or fall. Six books she spent warning of a terrible and devastating war that Harry would be in the thick of. Six books that were well enough written between plot and description that I could overlook her lack of characterization for antagonists or the fact that Ginny was essentially a flat character. And then book 7, where she completely ignores everything she spent 6 books setting up, skips around the reality of war by having Harry wander around lost on the moors for a bit, and then pulls a religious analogy out of her hat. Although the religious analogy did make me laugh -- I can't help but wonder if all those who said HP was the devil's work will be praising it like it's Narnia in 10 years.Still, I couldn't believe what she'd done to her work. I don't know if that honestly was her vision from the beginning, as she claims -- if it was, then the entire series suffers for it, and her vision is severely limited. The other alternative is that she sold out or simply didn't care because she's already richer than a queen. Whatever the reasoning, it was an awful, disappointing end to a beautifully textured series.