mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1)

Mistborn: The Final Empire  - Brandon Sanderson This book was a pleasant surprise to me. I was looking for something along the lines of Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear or David Abraham's The Dragon's Path, and I found it! I was about 3/4 of the way through when I realized why the author's name sounds so familiar -- a friend of mine recommended him to me years ago, while we were talking about the Wheel of Time Series. I'd read the first few books of said series, but given up on it by 1997. She recommended I pick it back up, because a really talented friend of hers had ghost-written the final two books.I didn't listen to her, but if you're at all interested in the fantasy scene, it was kind of hard not to hear his name at some point. Anyway, I still don't know if I'll dive back into the hot mess Wheel of Time became, because I'm not sure even Sanderson's talent could save that trainwreck.But this series? Really awesome, and I highly recommend it to any fan of epic fantasy.