mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella This was a fun little fluff read. It was cute, entertaining, and pretty enjoyable. If you enjoy romance novels by Julia Quinn, or the other Sophie Kinsella books (like the Shopaholic series), then you should enjoy this. If you prefer a meatier plot or more developed characters, this probably isn't the book for you. It's definitely romance-story fare, with one-dimensional characters (ditzy main character with a heart of gold who means well but constantly screws up; stoic, silent, mysterious love interest who is changed by his contact with fun-loving ditz; intelligent, "together" best friend of ditz who is always supportive and never catty despite her clearly more successful situation; and another friend who is the epitome of a "mean girl") and a very predictable plot. To be 100% clear, this is a fluff read, something to pick up when you just want to be vaguely entertained and amused. Nothing thought-provoking here.