mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel

The art of racing in the rain - Garth Stein This is a truly lyrical, beautiful book. It tells the story of a family -- of love and loss and battle -- through the eyes of the loyal family dog. Denny is the protagonist, but his story is related through Enzo, his terrier-lab. Through Enzo's eyes, we see Denny fall in love, become a father, and then lose his wife. We watch Denny deal with the grief of loss while fighting for his daughter. Through Enzo, we stand witness to Denny's exhaustion and depression. Enzo's voice is clearly doggish -- adoring of his master and accepting that Denny is the arbiter of human knowledge -- but it also has a distinctly human quality to it, reflecting the person Enzo so wants to be, and believes he will become in his next life. I highly recommend this book to all readers. It is one of the best I have read in recent years.