mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds (Leadership for the Common Good)

Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds - Howard Gardner I'm actually reading this for a class, and I gotta say, it's a really fascinating read. Gardner prefers a mix of cognitive/ behavioral psychology, with an emphasis on the cognitive side. He's got some pretty interesting ideas -- I like his breakdown of multiple types of intelligences -- and he uses both current science and anecdotal examples to illustrate his arguments. Unfortunately, for the class I kind of have to jump around in my reading and I have two other class-required books I'm reading at the same time. So I can't really give an in-depth review at this point.