mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume (Two Dukes of Wyndham)

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume (Two Dukes of Wyndham) - Julia Quinn I don't generally read romance. It tends to fall into two categories: a puritanical guilt-trip Christian mindset or gratuitous sex, usually so closely resembling rape that it's nauseating. Neither of those categories appeal to me.However, Julia Quinn fits neither of those categories. She writes with a fine humor, intelligence and delicacy. She actually develops the plot and characters so they stand on their own rather than simply acting as a vehicle for unnecessary and repetitive sex scenes. The sex scenes she does include are few -- sometimes only one in the entire book -- and in almost every book of hers I've read, they come near the end of the book, after the principal characters have developed an actual relationship based on mutual respect and attraction. Furthermore, I've yet to read a sex scene she's written that portrays the woman as initially unwilling and disturbed by the act. I imagine if she did, the man would be justly punished, not simply left to beg for forgiveness and understanding before he's absolved by the woman.I recommend Quinn to anyone who enjoys plot and character development in a story over erotica.