mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) - Patrick Rothfuss I have read some raving reviews on this, and I really have nothing to add. It's brilliant, really. The sort of thoughtful, rich, beautifully constructed fantasy book that is quite obviously destined to be a classic. It's so wonderfully paced, so perfectly constructed . . . I'm actually incredibly stunned this is his first book. I'm not saying first-book authors suck, because they don't -- not by any means -- but this is the sort of masterpiece of writing you expect to have been turned out after three or four published works. Very occasionally, there were those odd turns of phrase or mistakes in editing that sometimes slip by an editor/ publishing house, issues that jerked me out of the world for the space of a breath -- but those might have been due to the format (e-book). It's really brilliant.The next book just came out, and I really want to buy it and keep reading, but it's $15 on e-book, which is slightly appalling and nauseating. Also completely out of my budget at the moment. That's pretty much the only downside to this brilliant book: It's the first in the series, the second was just released a week or so ago (review written 3/11), and in this economic climate it's really hard to justify spending that much on a book, no matter how brilliant it is. That's not Rothfuss's fault, though, so if you can afford to buy it, do. You will not regret it.