mephistia

attempting obscurity

I mess around with writing, but deep down I'm pretty sure I'll never actually get published because I treat it like a hobby and not a passion -- I write when I have time, instead of making time to write.

When I read, I prefer YA sci-fi/ fantasy as my go-to fiction reads. I tend toward this genre because I read fiction as an escape from the daily drudge of life. YA sci/fi-fantasy usually has more upbeat/ hopeful endings, while adult fiction of any genre (except romance) tends to have more depressingly realistic endings. Sometimes I read romance novels, but I really prefer the type with plot/ character development between sex scenes, and I don't like having to hunt for them.

In non-fiction, I prefer history, biographies, psychology, gender studies, social/applied sciences, and law/ public policy.

Pink Brain, Blue Brain: How Small Differences Grow Into Troublesome Gaps -- And What We Can Do About It
Lise Eliot
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
Ian F. Haney López

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days - Tim LaHaye, Jerry B. Jenkins This is christian fiction, and it's really badly written. This is not christian fiction on the literary and allegorical level of Narnia, it's christian fiction on the literary level of Sweet Valley High, but with less character depth and worse plot placing. I read it because it was free on Nook a few weeks ago, and although I'm not a christian, I found the premise (post-rapture world) to be one that had promise.Unfortunately, rather than write a great book focused on plot and character development with broad appeal, they chose to write a sub-par vehicle for proselytizing. One suspects they intend this book to have broad appeal, and that the horrors they recite (rather than show) will convert non-christians through the power of literature and whatnot. Except the writing is really awful, and it very clearly caters to christian beliefs (and, from what I understand, it's a very specific subset of christian belief).And I don't mean it caters to christian beliefs in the way that a book about the rapture, a book that presupposes heaven and god and all that are real would. It caters to christian beliefs by doing the following:1. Depicts those left behind as suffering from pride, anger, resentment, or rebellion, especially if they already have christian family/ friends.2. Has a lot of preaching and discussion of christian beliefs and accepting Jesus. Most of these religious conversations feel forced and awkward in the settings they're in.3. Propagates a specific evangelical viewpoint that christians are saved by grace, not by works, which is a pretty horrific idea when you think about it from a moral and ethical viewpoint.